Like many of us, we are constantly trying something new and doing different things to differentiate our business. As many of you may or may not know, I’m part of The Crazy Marketing Ladies Show which is a podcast focused on crazy “things” and “ideas” from key influencers around the world. We are talking with nationally known speakers and professionals in the field of marketing, social media and entrepreneurship to give you a quick glimpse related to high-level themes. There will be many more topics and important tips and “secrets” shared.
If podcasting is new to you, I’d like to share some statistics and tips to get you started. To make sure we are on the same page, podcasting in its simplest form is “media in a blog post.”
Did you know that podcasting is up to 13.1 million listeners a day? 5% of Americans listen to podcasts every day which equates to 13 million people. Very intriguing, right?
Getting started with a podcast is not something that should be taken lightly as you need to do your homework and understand the process soup to nuts before getting started. There are a number of ways to get started, however, if you will be using WordPress (which is the most common platform) and you want to get your podcast on iTunes, it’s recommended that you….
1) Get a microphone – You want your readers/listeners to receive your message with good sound quality. It’s easy for your voice to fluctuate, sound distant if you are not close to the microphone, etc. so getting a quality microphone is highly recommended. Pat Flynn has recommended a variety of good mikes covering all budget types. For example, the Logitech Clearchat is approximately $30 and the heiil-PR40 (top of the line) is approximately $300; both found on Amazon.
3) Set up a Feed – You should set up a feed specifically for your podcast using plug-ins such as Feedburner to send your podcast to directory sites. It’s nice to have a separate feed in case you ever need to change the feed source, which you can do without losing subscribers.
4) Install Word Press plug-in “PowerPress” – This plugin will make your life easier as a player is installed that can custom configure your blog to play your audio files. You can obtain this plugin from WordPress jetpack or downloading from WordPress.org. Once installed, you will need to copy and paste the link of your audio file which is hosted on Amazon’s S3 service, and your audio will now be ready to be published.
5) Install Analytics – This is step is super important as you will want to measure the results you are getting from your podcast. Blubrry, same company for the PowerPress plugin mentioned above, has a nice analytics system for podcasts.
6) Submit to iTunes – You are almost done. Finally, you need to make sure that you have a nice album cover (aka design image) that will promote your podcast and also increases your chances of getting accepted on iTunes. The image size for iTunes should be 512 x 512. You will need to have a podcast name, description and summary to ensure that people will be inclined to click on your podcast while browsing.
7) Find your podcast on ITunes – Open up iTunes and go to the iTunes store and click on the podcasts link. You’ll see a link called “Submit a Podcast” which is where you copy and paste in your podcast’s Feedburner feed from the step above.
Whew… you did it. You should be good to go if you followed these steps, your podcast doesn’t have any copyright issues and your are using royalty free music.
Best of luck and be sure to check out The Crazy Marketing Ladies Show for juicy crazy business tips!
- Online Marketing for Your Business
- Twitter for your Business